Eden's ancient fragrance

 

Father,

Your love in me is Eden's ancient fragrance.

Every solid stone so strong,
every growing tree and leaf,
every ray of light so bright,
every blowing wind and breeze,
every drop of dew and rain,
everything you made and gave,
echo forth your love as living liturgy.

Your breath is all around me; 
    I breathe with you.
Your sun dawns and wipes your warmth
    across my face.
Your heralds sing ceaseless life
    into my ears.

Let the blood of the one without blemish cleanse;
let his baptism by fire faithfully refine;
let the witness of his work make whole these wounds;
let your Word by your Spirit transform this soul.

Pray your timeless truth from lungs, to throat, to lips.


How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
    I awake, and I am still with you.


I remember the days of old;
    I meditate on all that you have done;
    I ponder the work of your hands.


For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.


When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.


For you shall go out in joy
    and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and the hills before you
    shall break forth into singing,
and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Comments