Forgiveness

 

Forgiveness

You called me yesterday,
You told me where to go.
You told me that you loved me,
I only told you, “No.”

You called me yesterday,
You told me what to do.
You even said you’d help me,
Yet still I ran from you.

You called me yesterday,
You told me to come home.
You even came to get me,
I asked to be alone.

There I was,
Eating at your table,
Wearing clothes you gave me,
Sleeping in your bed,
Dreaming thoughts for someone else,
Anyone else,
… but you.

Still, you held me.
Still, you kissed me.
Still, you whispered for my ear.
Again, you let me run away,

… and still…

You called again today.

    But Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me;
        my Lord has forgotten me.”
    “Can a woman forget her nursing child,
        that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
    Even these may forget,
        yet I will not forget you.
    Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
        your walls are continually before me.
    Isaiah 49:14–16

    Thus says the LORD:
    “The people who survived the sword
        found grace in the wilderness;
    when Israel sought for rest,
        the LORD appeared to him from far away.
    I have loved you with an everlasting love;
        therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.
    Jeremiah 31:2–3

 

Comments